Discover your real existence and camp away your worries.
Cold air, dark night, warm fire, and bright stars; that's the way to camp. In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. Hills of Skandagiri beckon you to take up Skandagiri trek up Skandagiri hills to behold and enjoy the company of the stars, listen to the sounds of nature at night, witness the most stunning sunrise from the top and have an experience of your lifetime.
Skandagiri is a beautiful hill town near Bangalore surrounded by the Nandi hills and lies at 1450 metres. Skandagiri hills are one of the most famous trekking and sightseeing locations near Bangalore. Especially the night time Skandagiri trek is the most popular of them all being a very thrilling trek to the top of the hill with a moderate to the high-level difficulty for trekkers. People take up the night time Skandagiri trek to spend the night under the stars at the hill and get enchanted by the splendid view of the surrounding hills.
A peek in the past
Skandagiri hills have a reference in India's glorious history. It was once home to the majestic fort of Tipu Sultan, the ruler of the Kingdom of Mysore during the 18th century. In a battle between him and the Britishers, he lost the war, which caused a shift of power to the British officials. The fort was unable to sustain under the British administration, and today only a few walls are standing erect, and the rest of the fort is in terrible ruins. Amazingly some divine energy saved two of the temples from any harm, one at the top of the hill and the other at the bottom of the hill but the rest is reduced to rubbles.
A trek of a lifetime
Skandagiri hills with its fantastic landscape offer one of the best Skandagiri trek experience. One can expect to have a panoramic view of nature around, enjoy a bonfire at night, sleep under the stars in sleeping bags, walk above the clouds at the top and finally watch the sun coming up from the bed of clouds.
Skandagiri trek on Skandagiri hills serves as the best escapade. This unique trek takes one through the dense foliage, lush green jungles, fantastic flora and fauna, and roaring waterfalls, exploration of an ancient Fort on the top, and back to civilization by visiting the temples. Feel alive under the starlit sky and get drenched in the beauty of nature only with Skandagiri trek at Skandagiri hills
Trek to Explore
Daytime treks are always welcome, but Skandagiri trek is famous for its night-time trekking especially on the full moon nights when the beauty of the Skandagiri hills comes alive to enchant the trekkers. Along with trekking one can explore the following places-
- 1. Papagni Mutt - This temple is one of its kind and devoted to goddess Parvati and other local deities. Every Saturday a special puja is held at the temple in the honour of goddess Parvati. While visiting Skandagiri hills , the trekkers make it a point to visit the temple before they start their trekking journey.
- 2. Lord Shiva temple - This temple is situated on the top of the Skandagiri hills and is an example of splendid architecture. Lord Shiva is found in a seated form in this temple. The trekkers pay their regards to the holy deity on reaching the top of the hill.
- 3. Tipu Sultan Fort - The Fort was built by the ruler of Mysore but lies in a dilapidated state today with only a few walls standing. Still, the rubbles of the fort manage to whip up interest in the trekkers who can see through the ruins to appreciate its grand architecture. The fort, on more in-depth exploration, reveals two caves and six samadhis inside the structure. Once the trek is complete, the trekkers can retire to a stone house structure at the top.
- 4. Starry nights – There is nothing like watching a starry sky. A view to cherish after a long trek is to relax under a starlit sky. For ages, gazing at the stars has been an intriguing activity, and Skandagiri trek offers the trekkers that mind-blowing experience. The beauty of Skandagiri hills will spellbind the trekkers on reaching the top of the hill and relax at the camp.
1. Which is the best time to visit Skandagiri hills?
A. The best time to visit Skandagiri hills is between November and March when the weather is pleasant the atmosphere turns displays a hue of colours.
2. How to reach Skandagiri?
A. Bangalore is the nearest airport to Skandagiri at a distance of 70 kilometres. There are regular KSRTC bus services up to Chikballapur. From there onwards, one can either take a walk of 45 minutes or an auto ride of 15 minutes to the base of the Skandagiri hills
3. How long is the Skandagiri trek?
A. The Skandagiri trek trail is 5 km long, and it takes a maximum of three hours to finish the trek.
4. What is the difficulty level of the Skandagiri trek?
A. Yes, the difficulty level of Skandagiri trek is from medium to tough level.
5. Can a solo traveller join the trek?
A. Yes, a solo traveller can join the trek and benefit by meeting new people and making new friends.
6. How safe is a trek for women and children?
A. The trek is safe for women and children as every group has a camp instructor to care for all the group members.
7. What should one bring while taking the Skandagiri trek?
A. The trekkers taking a Skandagiri trek wear comfortable clothes and shoes. They should carry a small backpack with essentials needed during the trek, water bottles, lunch box with a spoon, raincoat, bag covers, flip flops, torches, portable chargers, extra pair of clothes, and poly bags to pack wet clothes.